Desert Hot Springs was founded and named by L.W. Coffee on July 12, 1941 in honor of the healing hot springs discovered by Cabot Yerxa. The picture below is Cabot's Pueblo Museum located at 67616 Desert View Avenue in Desert Hot Springs.
Desert Hot Springs is emerging as becoming a world-class health and Wellness destination. Ancient geothermal forces created a vast aquifer filled with rich mineral water naturally heated to 180 degrees 100 feet below the Earths surface. These springs have for centuries provided habitat to wildlife and sustained Native Americans. They are believed to have curative powers and are playing a big role in Desert Hot Springs future. Desert Hot Springs has long been a popular refuge for celebrities and sun-seekers from all over the world. There is abundance of intimate inns, boutique spas and hotels with complete spa amenities catering to this crowd. One of its most legendary ones is "Two Bunch Palms". It is set for renovation in the near future.
While Desert Hot Springs Redevelopment agency is trying to revitalize the downtown central business district, it also has been annexing land north of Interstate 10 for future commercial and industrial development. Palm Drivis the citys main north-south entry from I10 with prime land for residential, resort, hospitality and restaurant use.
Expansion is planned for Pierson Boulevard which is the east-west connection to route 62. Desert Hot Springs is projected to increase its population to more than 90,000 by 2035. New residential developments will include single-family homes, apartments, condominiums and luxury gated communities built around golf courses.